“How can I create a demo reel without any work, and how can I get work without a demo reel?” is a question almost as timeless as the chicken/egg argument. Until recently this was an incredibly difficult problem to solve, but with the advent of so much new technology as well as the ability to download videos from online sites, this process has become much easier.
In this episode I have an in-depth conversation with EditStock* founder Misha Tenenbaum about how his company provides the raw material necessary for editors to learn their craft and perfect it for many different genres, and more importantly how to craft the perfect demo reel in the 21st century (funny enough, it doesn’t involve creating a “reel” at all).
*Use the coupon code FIT for 15% OFF your first order
Topics of Conversation:
- Using raw dailies (EditStock.com) to learn how to cut scenes
- How to build a demo reel
- Tools to build an online website portfolio
- Overcoming the paradox of needing a reel to get an editing job
- How to highlight your editing skill rather than listing your projects
- Making a strong impression with your portfolio site
- Managing criticism and feedback to become a better editor
- Malcom Gladwell’s 10,000 hours
- Seeking mentorship that will strengthen your work
- Choosing jobs that promote growth
Misha is the founder of EditStock.com, a site that provides professional quality film footage for editors to practice with.